Day 6: Second Appointment

Posted by

At my first appointment, Doc tells me that while he normally sees patients every 2-3 weeks to start, he wants to see me sooner. So, five days later, I’m back. He asks how things are going and I tell him that this was my first day without coffee (in the days between appointments, I weened myself from three 12oz cups of espresso-ground French roast in the morning to two cups the first two days, one cup each of the weekend days and zero cups this day forward). This, in itself, is extremely hard, not just for the caffeine but for the morning habit: I’ve been drinking coffee since I was six.

The food is hard, too. I wasn’t prepared to start right away. I thought I’d have a couple of weeks to get my head and grocery list around all this, so I’ve been struggling in the morning (no eggs and no yogurt or kefir leaves few options). I tell him I’ve mostly just had the protein shake for breakfast, which doesn’t thrill him. I promise to work on it. Lunches and dinners are a little easier, some sort of grilled protein and salad or veggies. I’ve been good about the supplements and about all the foods I need to avoid, so those are positives. I had one bad-ish day when I felt like there was a disgusting smell emanating from every pore on my body. It passed and I felt better by the next day (I’m not sure I mentioned it to Doc at that appointment but looking online, the web-based consensus would point to candida die-off).

Doc tells me that it’s not unusual for people to cry or become very emotional going through this process and I shrug, I don’t really feel anything much except discomfort with the prospect of talking a lot again. Then, it’s more talking through stuff about and around the accident and important people in my life then. Doc assures me that nothing needs to be epic, we just need to figure out if there’s something that my system might’ve latched onto — a particular emotion, thought or situation — at the time of the accident.

He asks me a bunch of questions, asks me to try to remember certain things while doing a resistance test, of sorts, to figure out when I’m getting warmer or colder, closer to truth or non-truth. When we’re done for the day, he tells me to keep up the good work with the elimination diet and supplements and to come back in two weeks.

Driving home, my right temple is throbbing and the sensation begins to snake its way down the right side of my body. It’s not pain but I don’t know what it is. I just follow it as I’m driving…temple…ear…jaw…neck…shoulder…lung…side…stomach. Then it stops. Six days later, a Sunday, I cried the entire day, for reasons that I didn’t know then and still haven’t figured out. But I simply couldn’t stop.


{Note: These are my own experiences with applied kinesiology, which clearly aren’t meant as medical advice for anyone else. But I know a lot of friends and family members are grappling with a huge variety of autoimmune issues and other ailments, so I’m happy to share my experiences. And if this is your first visit and you’d like to follow chronologically, click here. Otherwise, enjoy!}

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s